Eagle Lake area fire results in $60,000 smoke damageBy Sue Tiffin
A fire started in an Eagle Lake area home after mattress material against an oil furnace chimney pipe was ignited when the furnace came on, according to a press release from Dysart et al fire chief Mike Iles.
Neighbours called in the sound of a smoke alarm and smoke coming from the building, where no one was home, on Cosmic Lane on Friday night.
The house was full of smoke when Dysart fire department responded to the scene on Nov.1 just after 8 p.m. with 17 firefighters and six fire trucks.
“Firefighters entered the building and located the fire in the basement furnace room,” reads a press release from fire chief Mike Iles. “Firefighters removed burning material and extinguished the fire.”
While firefighters were able to remove the burning material and put out the fire, and though there was minimal structural damage and no water damage to the building, extensive smoke damage caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.
“Furnace and electrical rooms should be maintained free of debris and combustibles,” reads the press release. “Never store items near furnaces, water heaters or electrical panels. Please ensure that your homes and cottages have working, up to date smoke alarms on all floors outside sleeping areas, and carbon monoxide alarms outside of all sleeping areas.”
No injuries were reported.