A&W, Esso to open on Cty. Rd. 21
By Angelica Ingram
Published Sept. 27, 2016
By next year Haliburton residents will be able to order a burger at A&W restaurant or pump gas at a new Esso station on County Road 21.
On Sept. 22, Sam Wootton, A&W manager of franchise sales for Ontario and Atlantic Canada confirmed that the fast food restaurant will be constructed on County Road 21 at Soyer’s Lake Road, on the property just northeast of the Pinestone Resort where a garage was once located. The restaurant will be approximately 1,700 square feet in size and will include a drive thru, she said.
Wootton said a few other retailers will be joining the businesses at that location but they remain unconfirmed at this time.
“We are actively seeking a franchisee for the site now,” said Wootton. “We’re expecting to open spring 2017.”
The manager said the real estate team picked the location based on factors such as demographics, vehicle traffic and growth over recent years.
“We were interested in Haliburton specifically because we do have A&Ws in other cottage country towns, such as Bracebridge and Huntsville,” she said. “Even though it is a seasonal town we do get so much traffic there in the summer that it compensates for maybe a weaker winter in terms of sales.”
Wootton says A&W sees a lot of opportunity in the area, as there are few competitors nearby.
The manager says it is important to the business to bring on franchisees who are very involved in the community.
“Our franchisees spend local marketing dollars, which is required, so that can be through sponsorship of local sports teams or couponing for community members,” said Wootton.
The total estimated investment for a franchisee is $780,000 to $830,000 and 35 per cent is required in liquid cash, payable just before the restaurant opens. The remaining 65 per cent is financed through a bank over a seven year term. Anyone interested in the business can email Wootton at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.awfranchise.ca.
While it’s early to say how many jobs the restaurant will bring to the area, Wootton estimated it would be between 30 and 35. She could not confirm if the Esso gas station would include a car wash.
The manager said the target would be to have both A&W and Esso open at the same time.
Wootton said the lease was signed on Sept. 9, with a few conditions yet to be finalized.
According to Dysart municipal planning director Patricia Martin, the property where the restaurant will be located is part of the Pinestone Resort property and is zoned Highway Commercial.