Studio tour includes treasure hunt 0
This year, the artists participating in the Highlands East Studio Tour are celebrating their 10th anniversary. Mark your calendar for two memorable weekends (Aug. 11 to 12 and Aug. 18 to 19) and take a drive through the quaint communities of Irondale, Gooderham, Tory Hill, Wilberforce, Paudash and Harcourt. Tucked in among the hills and lakes and back roads, you’ll discover their workshops and studios. You’ll meet the artists and see demonstrations of woodworking, painting, jewelry making and other creative arts. And this year, as part of the 10th anniversary celebration, you’ll get a chance to acquire an Algonquin Gateway Association coin.
Geocaching Opportunity While you are hunting for arts and crafts, you will also be able to hunt for special Algonquin Gateway Association coins, hidden in seven caches close to each studio entrance. If you are new to geocaching, you may want to attend the geocaching seminar Monday, Aug. 13 at 7:30 p.m. at the Robert McCausland Community Centre in Gooderham. Hands-on basics of geocaching and the caches put out for the studio tour will be discussed.
Bring your questions about this fascinating family sport.
Jan Simon, artist and owner of Dreamweaver Country Boutique in Wilberforce, is a founding member of the Highlands East Artists and the chairwoman of this year’s tour. Participating artists have changed over the years, she says, assuring that the exquisite one-of-a-kind creations offer visitors unique experiences. A map of the tour is available online at www.highlandseastartour.com.
Whether you visit one studio or several, you’re sure to find out why so many artists have chosen this picturesque part of the Highlands to live, work and create.
· Studio Bee, 1252 Twist Lane, Irondale
· Wildwood Studio of Nature Photography, 1055 Studio Lane, Gooderham
· Cocky Fox Studio, 1749 Irondale Rd., Irondale
· Wood’N’Dreams Maple Woodworking, 1191 Balmoral Lane, Gooderham
· Highland Winds Studio, 1524 Ursa Rd., Gooderham
· Paw Paw Shores Studio, 19221 Hwy. 118, Tory Hill
· Highland Creek Studios, 1035 Clement Lake Rd., Wilberforce
· Rustic Art Studio, 1074 Legacy Road, Off Hwy. 118
· Dreamweaver Country Boutique, 1151 Dark Lake Rd., Wilberforce
· White Birch Studio, 3244 South Baptiste Lake Rd., Highland Grove
· Fancy Daylilies Studio, 14 Cross Rd., Paudash
Painting Course If the studio tour awakens your own creative passion, take advantage of the opportunity to learn acrylic painting from artist Peter John Reid. Art instructor and author of the how-to book Acrylics, he is teaching a four-day painting course starting on Aug. 13 at the Robert McCausland Centre in Gooderham. This course is suitable for all experience levels. The $240 fee includes provision of paints. Contact Jan Simon at 705-448-2868 or by email at JanDreamweaver@aol.com to reserve your spot.